It is incredibly important to keep your ceiling fan free from dust and clean. This not only ensures an everlasting fan life, but it also improves the quality of air inside your house. However, unfortunately, most people consider cleaning a fan to be a mundane task. The truth is that, if your fan has not been turned on for months (such as after a winter season), it would have accumulated a lot of dust.
Did you know? Dust is among the main culprits that make fans wobbly. Though no single cleaning job is the same. This is because there is a wide variety of fans out there, each designed uniquely.
Fortunately, many fans come with a ‘Dust Armor’, which is a slippery coating that prevents the accumulation of dust. So, it is a specific trait that you should look for in fans when you head out to buy.
In this article, we discuss ways to clean various types of fans. First, we begin with the general instructions and then move on to the specifics within each type.
General instructions for All Types of Fans
On average, cleaning a fan should take you no more than 20 minutes. This seemingly mundane task has great implications for you and your family. All in all, it can greatly improve the levels of comfort in your room.
Luckily, most fans can be cleaned with regular items that you can find inside your home. So, in all likelihood, no specific tools will be required.
On the most basic level, you may need the following items:
- Some dish Soap
- A bucket full of warm water
- Screwdriver (though this is optional, depending on the type of fan)
- Some towels to wipe off the dust
In general, you can clean a fan very easily by employing the following steps:
- Take cleaning towel and soak it in some water
- Put a few drops of dish soap on the towel
- Scrub wet soapy towel on to the blades of the fan (both front and back)
- Dip the towel fully in a bucket of hot water
- Wipe off all the dirt and wash the towel
Unfortunately, not all fans feature a simple design. This is where you will need to go into the specifics. But worry not, because we got you!
In this section, we will discuss the cleaning methods for specific types of fans in great detail. These include:
How to clean ceiling fans?
A ceiling fan is the simplest one to clean. However, there is one complication here. Apart from the soap, water, and towels, the chances are that you will need a ladder. This is obviously because ceiling fans tend to be installed up high.
Optionally, you may+- also have to use a screwdriver, which depends on the design of the ceiling fan. Some ceiling fans come with a steel container that prevents small animals, such as birds, from running into them. While the process for it would be the same, it adds one extra step which is removing the container via a screwdriver.
With that, some ceiling fans also feature a rather complex design. Such ceiling fans are likely to accumulate dust within its center. To clean such a fan, you will have to take the entire body off from the ceiling.
Now, let us jump into the most popular ceiling fan options and ways to clean them:
How to clean Westinghouse Lighting 7876400 fan?
Since the Westinghouse Lighting is a decent-sized fan measuring 42 – 52 inches (depending on your choice), you need a large towel to clean it.
The items that you will need include a ladder, a large towel, a bucket full of warm water, and some all-purpose cleaning liquid. Since this fan features an alloy build, we do not recommend the use of dishwashers. Moreover, since this fan is designed for rooms measuring 10 by 10 feet, your ladder should measure between 8 – 9 feet.
To clean this fan, use the following steps:
- Incline the ladder against the floor
- Climb up to a point where your chin is in line with the rotator coil
- Use a dry towel to wipe off some solid dust
- To wipe off the stains, put on some all-purpose cleaning liquid on the towel
- Scrub the entire fan gently (make sure that no liquid enters the rotating coil)
- Dip the towel in a bucket of hot water
- Give a final scrub to the entire fan.
As a precaution, make sure that no water goes inside the rotator coil in case you are cleaning that too. Otherwise, it could shut your unit down completely or make it malfunction.
How to clean the Honeywell 50614-01 ceiling fan?
Since this is an industrial-grade ceiling fan designed for homes, you may need some tough equipment for it. First, you will need a heavy grade screwdriver along with other basic cleaning items such as water, cleaning soap, towels, and ladder.
To clean this fan, use the following steps:
- Incline a ladder to reach the highest point
- Use a screwdriver to take off the cage around the LED lights
- Place the cage along with the screws safely on a table
- Use a spray bottle with diluted liquid soap and spray it around the blades and rotator coil
- Use a soaked towel to wipe the dust off
- Get down from the ladder and clean the cage the same way
- Gather the screws and put the cage back in place gently
- Gently tighten the screws to fasten the cage in place
Since this fan features LED lights, you have to be extra precautious with the liquid soap and wet towel. This is the main reason why we will not suggest you to wet your towel in the water fully. Rather, just soak it enough.
Furthermore, make sure that the main electricity switch is toggled off before you begin cleaning this fan!
How to clean the Harbor Breeze Mazon Ceiling fan?
The Harbor Breeze Mazon is a heavy-duty ceiling fan that is made of metal and has a brushed nickel finish. For this, we suggest you use a metal-cleaning liquid. Otherwise, a regular dishwasher or all-purpose cleaners may wear its beautiful Brushed Nickel finish away.
For this fan, we do not suggest you unscrew the blades. Rather, it is much handier to clean it right in place. Though, the use of a helmet for safety is still preferred.
To clean this fan, use the following steps:
- Use a ladder to reach the highest point
- Put some metal cleaning liquid on a towel
- Scrub the fan’s wings and rotator coil properly (make sure main electricity switch is off)
- Use a soaked towel to wipe off the entire fan structure
- To clean the fan’s remote control, dilute some all-purpose cleaner in a water spray bottle
- Gently spray a minute quantity on the remote control from a distance
- Use a soaked towel to wipe it off (make sure that no liquid enters the buttons)
How to clean box fans?
A box fan features a small round or square-shaped grated container with a rotating motor and blades fitted inside. They are slightly more complex in comparison to a ceiling fan. Furthermore, they are also avidly used as a desk fan.
The tools that you need to clean a box fan include a screwdriver, towel, water bucket, an all-purpose cleaning liquid, and some technical knowledge.
The technical knowledge can usually be found via the instruction manuals that come with each box fan. These manuals detail the entire build of the unit, allowing you to take off each part at a time with great ease.
How to clean the Honeywell HT-900 box fan?
This box fan features a circular compartment that is attached to a stand. Inside it, there is a rotating coil with blades attached to it. Since it has a rather simple build, the cleaning process is quick and easy.
- Take towel soaked in water
- Spray from all-purpose cleaner on the fan’s stand and outer structure
- Wipeout any dust from the outer structure of the fan
- Use a screwdriver to remove the outer compartment
- Repeat the same process with the blades
- Make sure that the blades are cleaned both from the front and back.
- Use the towel to clean the circular surface on the inner side of the structure
- Repeat the process until all the accumulated dirt has been removed
- Place the screws back in place and attach the circular compartment.
As a precaution, make sure that the fan is plugged out before you start cleaning it. Moreover, make sure that no significant amount of liquid enters the rotating coil of the fan. Otherwise, it can result in a malfunction.
How to clean the Hurricane HGC736501?
The Hurricane HGC736501 is a simple box fan with a classic design. It would take less than 10 minutes to clean it by using a simple cleaning method.
All you have to do is take the front casing off and use a small towel and an all-purpose cleaner in a spray bottle. Once all the dirt has been removed, simply put the casing back in place, and you are good to go.
Since it has a simple design, there are no complications involved. You would easily be able to clean it with some simple tools. This makes it one of the easiest to clean options on our list.
But like always, make sure that the fan has been plugged out before you begin cleaning. As a precaution, this fan carries a small rotator coil. So, be very careful while using a wet towel.
How to clean the B-Air FIRTANA-20X?
The B-Air Firtana is a floor fan that features a 20-inch design. So, a small cloth will be enough to wipe out all the dust. Due to its design, it does not need proper cleaning that often. Still, the blades need to be wiped after every season.
For that, just follow these steps:
- Take the front circular casing off using a screwdriver
- First, wipe away any solid dust particles using a dry towel
- Use a diluted dish-soap in a spray bottle and spray it all over the fan
- Use a water-soaked towel to wipe the entire structure
- Put the casing back in place
- Repeat the same process with its stand and wire up to the switch
- As a precaution, do not plug the switch in while it is still wet
How to clean tower fans?
Just like pedestal fans, tower fans feature a tower-like shape that can be cleaned easily. However, cleaning a tower fan requires a little more technical knowledge. While it is not hard, every model has a unique design. This can be very overwhelming for someone who is doing it for the first time.
How to clean the Honeywell QuietSet tower fan?
The Honeywell QuietSet tower fan is made of plastic. This means that you can easily use an all-purpose cleaning liquid to clean the dust off from it. However, if you want to get into the insides, things will get a little technical.
For that, use the following steps:
- Take a dry towel to clean the dust accumulated on the tower fan’s surface
- Spray some all-purpose cleaner via a spray bottle
- Clean it off using a dry towel
- Let the outer surface of the fan dry up
- Now use a screwdriver to gently take off the screws from the front panel.
- Use an air compressor to blow up the dust from the panels.
- Make sure that you are not aiming it on the flat surface but also the crevices.
- Place the fan tower horizontally on the ground.
- Clean any remaining dust and debris
- Put the screws back in place after attaching the panel
We recommend you use a diluted cleaning-liquid via a spray bottle. Be very careful while spraying it because you do not want the liquid to seep into the buttons. A good practice would be to spray on it from a good distance.
How to clean the Lasko Portable Electric fan?
Again, things may get a little technical with this model. But it is not hard at all.
For this model, you can find the screws right in the front. There are 4 visible screws on its upper end, right on top of the menu section and a few on the bottom. So, a screwdriver is an essential component.
Furthermore, it features many crevices in its design. Sometimes, dust and dirt can get trapped within these crevices that are difficult to reach. So, for that, you may also need an air compressor.
- Use a screwdriver to take the panel off
- Spray some diluted cleaning liquid both on the inside and outside of the panel
- Repeat the same process on the entire outer structure of the fan
- Wipe it off using a towel
- Now use a smaller towel to clean the blades (do not spray liquid directly on the insides)
- Turn on the air compressor and clean the dirt from all the crevices
- Put the panel back in place and screw it in.
How to clean the Honeywell white comfort control?
Cleaning a fan under normal circumstances is not hard. However, tower fans are a little challenging to deal with due to their unique design.
This tower fan can be cleaned pretty much the same way as the Honeywell QuietSet tower fan that we have listed above. After all, both are designed by the same company.
So, you are going to find several similarities in the design. However, the placement of screws is going to be a little different (though they are visible and easy to locate).
But as a precaution, we suggest you plug the fan off before proceeding with the cleaning part. Otherwise, it can result in a shutdown.
Since this model is relatively small, you may also want the help of a technician to clean it inside out without damaging it.
How to clean pedestal fans?
The best thing about a pedestal fan is that most of them carry the same or nearly similar design. So, a single set of instructions will pretty much cover every model.
To clean this type of fans, you can use the following general instructions:
- Use a screwdriver to take off the front panel (these are found on the sides of the circular panel)
- Use a decent sized dry towel to clean the dirt off the blades (both front and back)
- Now use an all-purpose cleaning liquid diluted in a spray bottle and spray it all over the structure
- Now use a water-soaked towel to wipe the entire structure including blades, motor, and the back panel
- Since they usually do not have any crevices, an air compressor is not required to blow the dust.
- Once it has dried up (will take just a few minutes), place the panel back.
- Use a screwdriver to tighten the screws back in place.
However, there are some important precautions that you must take. Firstly, make sure that the liquid does not get inside the motor or rotating coil. Secondly, make sure that the fan is not plugged in when you are cleaning it.
Now every model comes with its own set of unique features. Though the same general set up instructions will apply to all of these models (with slight modifications). Here are some model-specific instructions to clean a fan.
How to clean the Rowenta VU5670 Turbo Silence?
This is a new age pedestal fan that features digital buttons and functionality. While the same general instructions will apply to it, you have to take certain precautions.
Firstly, make sure that the buttons are well protected and sealed off. In case any liquid from your spray bottle seeps into the buttons, the functionality of the fan will suffer.
Furthermore, you may not be able to use a regular dishwasher for this. Try to use a cleaner that is specifically designed for metal surfaces.
How to clean the Comfort Zone CZST161BTE 3-Speed fan?
The Comfort Zone pedestal fan has a plastic body. This means that you are free to choose the type of cleaning liquid that you want. If you want to save money, you may be able to use a dishwashing liquid diluted in water.
This is because its surface does not have such limitations or a finish that would wear off. Rest assured, the same set of general instructions mentioned above will apply to this pedestal fan.
Though in comparison to other models, it has a wider space between the buttons. Hence the chances of liquid seeping through are higher. So, be extra careful with that while cleaning it.
How to clean the Vornado VFAN Sr.?
Unlike other fans in this list, the Vornado VFAN Sr. has a unique shape. This makes it slightly different, and hence, a different set of instructions will apply.
It features two compartments, one in the front and other in between the blades and the motor. While the process of unscrewing these compartments is simple, you must remember the right order to put them back. Otherwise, the functionality will be ruined.
In this regard, the instruction manual that comes with this fan will be of great help. As a precaution, try to use a metal cleaning liquid to clean this fan rather than a diluted dishwashing soap. Otherwise, its finish can be ruined.
How to clean desk/table fans?
A desk fan is relatively small, and the easiest to clean. Just like pedestal fans, a single set of instructions will apply to most desk cooling fans.
- Use a screwdriver to take the front panel off
- Spray an all-purpose cleaner on the entire structure (while avoiding the spaces in buttons)
- Use a dry towel to clean off the dirt
- Put the panel back in place
- Use a screwdriver to put the screws in
- Give it a final wipe with a soaked cloth or towel
For these fans, the risks of damage are extremely low due to their simple build. Just make sure that they are not plugged in while you are cleaning them.
As for the build, most of them are made of plastic. So, there are no limitations on the type of cleaning liquid that you want to use.
For some specific model-based instructions, refer below.
How to clean the Honeywell HT-900 turbo force?
This compact fan can be cleaned very easily using a cloth, dishwasher liquid, and a screwdriver. The general instructions listed above apply to this fan.
Though it features some crevices. To blow the dust built up within these crevices, you may have to use an air compressor.
How to clean the Vornado Flippi V6?
This model is relatively simple to clean because it has no crevices. So, a simple wipe with a cloth can get the job done within 5 minutes.
However, if you want to clean the blades, things may get a little tricky. It does not have any visible screws on the front panel. However, a slight rotate will bring the front compartment off.
For this, you will have to refer to the instruction manual that comes along with this fan for more clarity.
How to clean the Comfort Zone Oscillating table fan?
This desk fan is more like a mini pedestal fan. To clean this fan, use the following steps (they are quite similar to the pedestal fan instructions):
- Use a screwdriver to remove the outer covering
- Spray some diluted liquid soap on the entire surface (back and front)
- Use a dry towel to wipe the liquid off
- Put the panel back in place and tighten the screws
Never clean it while it is plugged inside the electricity switch. Or else, it can turn into a life hazard.
How to clean wall mounted fans?
Wall-mounted fans are very similar to pedestal fans, with the only difference that they are mounted on the wall instead of on a stand. While the general instructions of pedestal fines will apply to a wall-mounted fan, they may change slightly depending on the model.
How to clean the Air King 9018?
Air King 9018 is quite easy to clean. The items you need to clean it include a ladder, a brush, screwdriver, towel, water bucket, and a diluted dishwasher liquid in a spray bottle.
The rest of the process is quite simple. Incline the ladder against the wall and climb on top of it until you are at a decent level. Then use the brush to wipe off any solid dirt particles on the fan. Now, use a screwdriver to take the screws out from the front panel.
Remove this panel and brush the dust off the blades and surroundings. Now, spray some dishwashing liquid on to the areas that you want to clean. Use a soaked towel to wipe the liquid off.
Once you are done and satisfied, put the panel back in place and tighten the screws. Once done, you are good to go!
How to clean the Hurricane HGC736474?
The Hurricane HGC736474 is a wall-mounted fan built with a steel cage. So, we will not advise you to use a regular dishwashing liquid to clean it. Rather, try to use a soap that is designed for metallic surfaces. Otherwise, it may ruin the entire look and finish of the fan.
As for its cleaning, the process is the same as pedestal fans. First, you take the front panel off by using a screwdriver. Then, you clean the entire surface using a brush followed by a liquid cleaner. Finally, you wipe the whole surface with a wet towel.
Once that is done, just put the frame back in place and tighten the screws. Since there are no crevices there, you do not need an air compressor to remove the buildup of dust.
How to clean the Air King 902?
The Air-King 902 has a very simple and regular build just like a pedestal fan. This makes it extremely easy to be cleaned.
However, since it has a 20-inch design, it needs a thorough cleaning and a larger towel. Furthermore, it has a metallic build. So, it is recommended only to use a metallic cleaner rather than a regular dishwasher liquid for cleaning it.
As for the remaining part, the cleaning procedure is identical to that of pedestal fans or the wall-mounted fans that we have listed above.
How to clean window fans?
Window fans are a little harder to clean in comparison to the other types that we have included in this list. This is primarily because they are larger, along with huge frames.
Moreover, the wiring leading from the buttons is directly linked with the frame itself. So if you do anything wrong, your entire unit can shut down.
For detailed steps specific to different models, refer below.
How to clean a Bionaire Window Fan?
The Bionaire window fan is a dual fan, which is relatively difficult to clean. However, by following these steps, you will be able to clean it with great ease:
- Unplug your unit and take it off from the window
- Place it on a plastic surface with the face-up
- Find the screw around this unit’s perimeter and remove the screws
- Then pick the cover-up so that the inside is resealed
- Use a paper towel to pick up any buildups present on the blades
- Use a soaked towel to clean the dust from the inside (you can also use a diluted liquid soap)
- Reassemble the covering and put the screws in
How to clean a Holmes Dual 8″ Blade window fan?
The Holmes Dual Window Fan requires extreme precaution and care during its cleaning. This is because the buttons present on the front are attached to wires. So when lifting the cover off, you need to be very careful. Just follow these steps and you will be good:
- Take the plug out
- Use a liquid dishwashing soap in a spray bottle
- Spray it all over the surface from a distance
- Use a soaked towel to clean the outer surface
- Use a screwdriver to take the screws out along the perimeter
- Lift the cover-up
- Use a soaked towel to clean the dust from the blades
- Use an air compressor to clean dust from the crevices (optional)
- Tighten the screws after putting the cover back in place
How to clean the Holmes Bionaire Thin Window Fan?
This window fan features three fans build in. It has a very smart design without any crevices. This means that you do not need an air compressor to clean it. Just a regular towel coupled with a diluted dishwasher in soap will do the trick.
Use the following steps to clean it:
- Take off the screws and lift the front cover
- Use a soaked towel to clean the insides including the blade
- At the same time, wipe the outside surface also
- Put the frame back in
- Tighten the screws
This model is the easiest to clean among most of the window fans out there! This is primarily due to its very simple and smart design.
How to clean mist fans?
These are the hardest to clean options on our list. Cleaning a fan is relatively easy for all other types. But mist fans require a good level of technical expertise or at least some practice.
In general, they contain several components that need to be disassembled and then assembled back inside. These include the fan, grill clips, blade cap, bask grill, and a lot more.
Since every mist cooling fan model is built differently, we cannot apply a single general set of instructions for cleaning mist fans. So, referring to the instruction manual that comes with each model will be of great help.
Though, we can certainly offer some cleaning instructions for specific models listed below:
How to clean the NewAir, AF-520B, Outdoor Mist Fan?
To clean this Mist Fan, refer to the instructions provided below:
- Unplug the electrical outlet
- Unscrew the front grill of the fan using a screwdriver
- Use a small brush to wipe out any signs of dust
- Clean the entire grill using a mild soapy solution and soaked towel
- Wipe the blades of the fan thoroughly with a wet soapy solution
- Wipe the blades with a dry cloth
- Remove the nozzle and soak it in a nozzle cleaner for 15 minutes.
- Put the nozzle back in place
- Put the grill back in place and tighten the screw
- Wipe the entire unit from all sides for one last time
Since cleaning this fan may be harder, in case you get stuck or experience some difficulties, you may need some technical help. For this, you can always call a repair company.
How to clean HydroMist F10 Mist Fan?
The HydroMist F10 Mist Fan is a wall-mounted style Mist Fan which requires one extra step in its cleaning. This is, unscrewing the fan off the wall if you want to go for a full clean. If not, you can just unscrew the front grill and clean the blades. Use the following steps:
- Plug the fan off from the electrical power
- Unscrew the wall-mount to take it off
- Place it face up on a work table
- Unscrew the front grill and put it on the side
- Use a dry cloth to pick up dust buildups
- Use a brush to wipe the dust from the grill
- Wipe the blades and internals with a soaked cloth
- Then repeat the process with a dry cloth
- Put the front grill back in place and tighten the screws
How to clean SPT SF-1666M Mist Fan?
The SPT SF-1666M Mist Fan is a pedestal style fan with the misting feature. The general cleaning instructions for pedestal fans will apply to this one too, with one added step i.e. cleaning the nozzle.
To clean this fan, use the following instructions:
- Plug the fan off
- First, wipe the entire structure with a dry cloth
- Spray some liquid cleaner on the stand
- Wipe it with a soaked cloth
- Unscrew the main grill
- Unscrew the nozzle
- Wipe the blades and rotator coil with a soaked cloth from all sides
- Use a small brush to wipe any dust from the grill
- Put the grill back in place
- Tighten the screws